Pages

Subscribe:

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Liverpool transfer news: Naby Keita handed No 8 jersey after Reds officially announce signing of midfielder

Football news - transfers, fixtures, scores, pictures | The Sun
Liverpool transfer news: Naby Keita handed No 8 jersey after Reds officially announce signing of midfielder

LIVERPOOL have handed Naby Keita the prestigious No 8 jersey after the club finally unveiled the signing of the midfielder.

The Reds agreed a £48million deal with RB Leipzig in August, with the 23-year-old spending the rest of the season with the Bundesliga club.

Naby Keita has finally moved from Bundesliga side RB Leipzig to LiverpoolGetty - Contributor Keita, 23, has taken the No 8 jersey at Anfield after Steven Gerrard handed him the shirtInstagram, @keitanabydeco

But the Guinean international is ready to take the Premier League by storm, and has revealed how legend Steven Gerrard surprised him at Melwood last year.

Speaking to the club’s website, he said: “It was an incredible day for me. He gave me the No.8 jersey. When it happened, it was a surprise and I didn’t expect it.

“When he came in, I looked and him and said, ‘wow’ because he is a legend. He is somebody who always showed respect, who gave his all on the pitch, somebody who is loved here.

“If somebody like that gives you his shirt number, it’s not to play around with, it is to try and do as much as he did – that’s my motivation.”

Guinean international Keita banged in nine goals in 39 games for Leipzig last seasonAFP or licensors Keita has spent two campaigns with the German side after joining from Red Bull Salzburg in June 2016EPA

The No jersey had been vacant since Gerrard left the club for LA Galaxy at the end of the 2014/15 season.

Keita will likely partner Fabinho in the middle of the pitch – after the Brazilian international joined from Monaco for £44m at the end of May.

He added of his switch: “When you see how they performed last season it makes me want to do the same and to be a part of this team. I would like to be able to achieve a similar kind of season with them next season – but even better.

“I chose Liverpool because it is a team I watched often – and I also spoke a lot about it with Sadio [Mane]. He told me a lot about the team and the club.

FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE All the latest action, news, goals and gossip from the World Cup

“I also spoke with the coach, who told me about the project for the team and that motivated me to be here.”

Keita spent two seasons with Leipzig after joining from sister-club Red Bull Salzburg in June 2016.

He immediately established himself as one of the top midfielder’s in Germany – helping the newly-promoted side to second spot.

0 comments:

Post a Comment